Small Bird Habitat Bushcare Mornings Chanel St
Help create habitat for small birds in bushcare mornings on the Great West Walk through the Old Toongabbie 1791 Convict–farm site.
About this Event
Join this community Bushcare action beside Parramatta’s historic Toongabbie Creek.
Our hands–on mornings are part of the City of Parramatta Bushcare program:
- Suitable for volunteers of any age, beginners or experienced
- Learn about the local species that survived colonial clearing
- Help boost habitat for Finch, Wrens, Pardalote and Parrots
- Easy hand-weeding + some planting original 'understory' seedlings
- CO2 Tree-Planting as "Miyawaki Pocket Forests"
This is a Covid-Safe Bushcare event, limited to 20 persons. Participants are advised to arrive 10 minutes before the start time, wear long pants, sturdy shoes and seasonally appropriate clothing, hat and bring a bottle of water.
Background on Chanel St:
Since bushland restoration began over 20 years ago this side-stream is transforming into a living heritage resource for our future. The endangered ecological community is called River–flat Eucalypt Forest of the Cumberland Plain Woodland.
This Spring-Summer program aims to increase nesting and foraging habitat for Red-browed Finch, Blue Wrens, Red-rumped Grass Parrots and Spotted Pardalotes. Many larger birds such as Sulphur–crested Cockatoo & Magpie visit and roost at the site, yet it is the small species that require more dense scrub for safety and food sources.
City of Parramatta has increased the core-habitat areas by ceasing mowing. Community Bushcare dedicated to the site over 'a whole generation' is enhancing this significant habitat and its qualities, acknowledging the cultural landscape of the Toogagal people of the Dharug nation.
Project Supported by
- The Federal Community Environment Program, Parramatta.
- Greater Sydney Landcare Network Creating Canopies - NSW Govt
- City of Parramatta Council Bushcare program.
Disclaimer: Due to the current uncertainty regarding coronavirus, please contact the event organiser directly via the contact details on the listing if you are unsure.